Friday, September 4, 2009

Discipleship Training School (DTS)

Hi Everyone,
First, I want to say thank you for supporting my family and I as we walk into a whole new chapter of our lives. After I wrote my first post last night, I began to wonder and pray about the future of this blog. This morning, I felt it appropriate to update everyone on who I am, where I am, testify God's awesomeness, and explain the path God is paving before me.

I am an individual, unique, and loved child of God. You may read that and think, "yes, and so am I..." or maybe you think, "funny, who are you really?" At the end of the day I'm trying to provoke the question: Do you know, that you know, that you know you are an individual, unique, and loved child of God? And do you truly, deep within your heart, believe this truth? I want you to know YOU ARE! Start walking in that truth.
We all are individual and unique, so let me tell you about me. I am the baby child of my mother and father, Robert and Donna Schuller. I was born into a family of pastors. My grandfather, my father, and my brother are all pastors. Ever since I was young, I had not known anything different than what I lived; a "Christian" life. On Sunday mornings, I would wake up, dress myself properly, and go with my family to church. This was all I truly knew in my heart. My faith had become that of my parents. I believed because that's what I was told. I had no genuine faith of my own. My faith was like a tree that's roots are shallow; when a storm comes, the tree is blown over. After some years, people began to ask me, "Are you going to follow in your fathers footsteps?" At first I would shyly say, "no" until it became a very repetitive question. After a while, I was blown over from something so simple, I began living a rebellious life where I wanted to be different.
Fast-forward more years until I was 17 years old and was attending a youth organization called Young Life. With this group, I had gone to a youth camp for a weekend retreat at the end of my third year in high school.
One of the nights we were there, our leader Ken Clark was speaking. I remember when he was done speaking, he asked us to go outside, underneath the stars, find a solitary place and spend time listening to God. "Don't go with anyone else," I remember him saying. So I left and found my spot upon a big rock. As I sat, I remember looking up. When I saw all the stars, the very fingerprint of God's creation, my past life flashed before my eyes and the very questions that everyone asks entered my mind; "Who am I and where am I going?" At that moment, I will never forget the presence of God. As I sat crying, God spoke softly saying, "Don't worry about it. I'm holding you." It was an overwhelming inner knowing that I can never deny. The creator of everything living and nonliving was guiding me. This was the moment when the faith of my parents became my own, personal faith in God!

Now, I am writing from Townsville, in Queensland, Australia. I have been here since July this year and will remain here until December. How did I get here and what am I doing here? The short story is that God called me here. I am now participating in a program with Youth With A Mission called Discipleship Training School (DTS). DTS is a two stage program. First, the program focuses on teaching through lectures and discipleship. Secondly, we are sent on outreach to share the Gospel. God called me here so I would seek wholeheartedly, a personal relationship with Him (Jeremiah 29:13-14). Let me tell you, "seek and you shall find" is one of many true statements in the Bible. I found God and now I know Him. I am not saying to find God you must travel halfway around the world to find Him. This was my individual and unique calling from God. Now that I know God, I must make Him known! In Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus commissions all who follow Him, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

The Great Commission is now something I am called to. So, what does this look like? At the moment, I am still finishing the lecture phase of the program. I have been taught thoroughly, through the subjects of Clear Conscience, Relationships, The Father Heart of God, Identity, Lordship, Evangelism, Holy Spirit, and Hearing God's Voice. I still have the subjects of Spiritual Warfare, Biblical Perspectives, and Missions before we are sent to outreach.
However, in the immediate future, God is calling me to outreach in Papua New Guinea. There, a team of 8, including me, will be reaching some remote villages that may have never heard the Gospel. Ultimately, we will be sharing the love and truth of Jesus Christ. We are also paving a way for a ship tour that our base is preparing in order to reach these remote and unfortunate villages. Their mission is to follow the example of Christ, loving and providing for the less fortunate. Please watch the following video for a greater understanding of what the ship tour is providing. This is just a glimpse of what God can do through those who surrender to His will.

6 comments:

  1. Anthony, you have opened "my eyes" with this video! I was truly "moved" by the images but, at the same time, I felt uplifted and exhilerated by the positive approach being taken by YWAM to reach these people in need, in PNG and elsewhere.

    I will have to watch it again and re-read the terrific profile of yourself, your plans and the WYAM program. Thanks for writing so fully and clearly!

    It is a bit late here in Canada but I really wanted to get a few words down right away, to let you know how terrific this blog has started off in my view and I know others around the world will also be thrilled by what you have done here!

    The expression "hit the ground running" is, I guess, the way you have started but you have done so with grace which is wonderful!

    So, congratulations, Anthony and know you will be in my prayers. Thank you for taking your faith with you as you act as His hands and clearly with His Love!

    God is blessing you and He is blessing us through your words and posting here on this site.

    Jan-Michael (Toronto, Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony, thanks for sharing your profile and YWAM. - I see the misery. They need help. When I hear people are going to mission trips like you, I always have a lot of questions. Are you teaching them as well how to live a better live, how to have enough food or about population control? I see they have not enough food for their babies. Important milk is missing. - - Faith in God can't just be inherited from our parents; your mom told me in her blog and she is right. We ourselfs must open our eyes and feel it in our body/heart. Of course somebody else can help us to make the final steps, like your dad did with me. I will continue to pray for you. - Blessings, Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan-Michael: Thank you very much for your positive comment. It truly is encouraging for me. I didn't know how well this blog would begin for me, but your affirmation is uplifting. Thank you again for following what is only the begining of my blogging. It's a pleasure sharing the wonderful things God is doing!

    Rosemarie: To answer your questions.. Yes. We are helping teach them how to live better lives. We are outreaching along side the IPHC school (International Primary Health Care). Their primary focus is teaching them the basic, yet extemely important health provisions of daily life. Also, I have just finished reading a book titled, "Revolution in World Missions." In this book, the author K.P. Yohannan addresses a good point that I would love to share with you.

    The Gospel is more than just telling that Jesus came to save their lives, but provokes and even commands people to adopt a fruitful lifestyle. Ultimately, the good news of Jesus and the implementation of Lordship in peoples lives will quickly and dramatically change the way they live. Thank you for your questions. I hope this helps. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony, wow! Now I really can understand your mission project. - Sounds good! - My prayers for a good success are with you! Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anthony. It's wonderful to see you following Christ so earnestly, training to grow as his disciple and missionary! May the Lord bless you, sustain you, and anoint you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony, it was wonderful to read and see this video! Wow God is so amazing and I am excited to see how he is going to continue using you.

    You have an amazing heart keep it up, you will always be on prayers!

    xoxo
    your friend!

    Steff

    ReplyDelete